header image


Legal Helpline: ☎ 1800 352 100

Our solicitors can provide you with obligation-free legal advice on how to make a claim, and how to maximise your entitlements under the law.

For South Australian legal advice on workers compensation matters, just complete the Contact Form or call our free helpline on ☎ 1800 352 100.

South Australians who have suffered an injury or disability from their employment, may be entitled to compensation through the workcover scheme. You do not have to prove fault or negligence on the part of your employer. This is a no-fault compensation scheme.

In South Australia, WorkCoverSA is responsible for managing the workers compensation scheme. Employers Mutual is WorkCover’s claim agent. This means that you will be dealing with Employers Mutual (unless you work for an employer who is self-insured). If your employer is self-insured, then they will be responsible for handling your claim.

We have access to personal injury solicitors who specialise in South Australian WorkCover claims who can advise you on all aspects of your claim.

You should seek legal advice if:

  • You need help lodging a claim. OR
  • You want to know how much compensation you can claim under the law. OR
  • You disagree with decisions made by WorkCoverSA, Employers Mutual or your Employer regarding your compensation claim. OR
  • You want to take action in the Workers Compensation Tribunal or appeal to a court of law.

Time limits apply in making compensation claims and in lodging appeals. You should seek legal advice as soon as possible to ensure that your legal rights are fully protected.

Workers Compensation Benefits

The Workcover scheme also provides financial support for loss of wages known as weekly payments (or income maintenance payments).

If your injury or illness results in a disability that is both permanent and stable, you may also be entitled to a permanent impairment lump sum.

You may be able to claim the cost of treatment and services related to your work injury, illness or accident, including:

  • Reasonable medical expenses, including doctors and specialists fees.
  • Reasonable treatment expenses, including hospital and nursing services.
  • Rehabilitation and return-to-work services e.g occupational therapists.
  • Equipment aids and appliances eg hearing aids, glasses.
  • Physiotherapy, gym and hydrotherapy.
  • Medications.

You could also claim the cost of:

  • Travel expenses to and from medical appointments.
  • Home help. That is, assistance with routine household activities such as cleaning, washing, ironing, gardening, if you are medically unable to carry-out these activities.
  • Child care. In special circumstances, you may be able to claim the cost of child care if you are medically unable to manage your child care responsibilities.
  • Housing and motor vehicle modifications

Death benefit payments are also available where a family member has died as a result of a work accident, injury, illness or disease.

Types of Injuries

The workcover scheme covers compensation for physical and psychiatric injuries. Your injury needs to have occurred from your work or in the course of your work. If you have a pre--existing disability that has been aggravated at work, you are also entitled to compensation but only if the employment contributed to the aggravation.

Examples of work injuries include:

  • Physical injuries- back, neck, spine, head injuries, sprains, loss of eyesight, hearing loss, fractures, dislocations, strains, heart attack, stroke, nerve damage, pain syndromes, facial disorders, disfigurement.
  • Work-related diseases- cancer, asbestosis, mesothelioma.
  • Mental Illness- depression, anxiety, PTSD, stress.

No Win No Fee Solicitors

Our workcover solicitors are experienced in dealing with simple and complex South Australian workcover claims. They are experts in case law and Workers’ Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 1986 and WorkCover Corporation Act 1994.

They can provide you with obligation-free legal advice. Our workcover lawyers are also able to offer No Win No Pay fee agreements.

Legal Helpline: ☎ 1800 352 100